.

.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

How to Respond to Student's Needs

There are five ways in which a teacher can respond to the student's needs for affirmation, contribution, power, purpose, and challenge: the response of invitation, the response of opportunity, the response of investment, the response of persistence, and the response of reflection.

Response of Invitation
The invitation to learn is of prime importance. It must be issued as the learner first enters the learning place-and reissued continually. To issue the invitation, we as teachers needs to communicate the following :

  • I respect who you are as well as who you can become.
  • I want to know you.
  • You are unique and valuable.
  • I believe in you.
  • I have time for you.
  • I learn when I listen to you.
  • This place is yours too.
  • We need you here.


Response of Opportunity
As a teacher, I will do all I can to ensure that you will become all you should be. that means my goal is to provide you with maximum opportunities to develop your possibilities.

  • I have important things for you to do here today.
  • The things I ask you to do are worthy things.
  • The things I ask you to do are often daunting.
  • the things I ask you to do open new possibilities for you.
  • The things I give you yo do here help you become all you can be.
  • You have specific roles here that make us all more efficient and effective.


The Response of Investment
The surest way for a teacher to communicate to learners that they are important individually and collectively and that their work is compelling, is for the teacher to model high investment in both the people and content of the classroom.

  • I work hard to make this place work for you.
  • I work to make this place reflect you.
  • I enjoy thinking about what we do here.
  • I love to find new paths to success.
  • It is my job to help you succeed.
  • I am your partner in growth.
  • I will do what it takes to ensure your growth.


Response of Persistence
The teacher needs to help students understand that this is a place where persistence is a hallmark. When a student is "missing the mark", the persistent teacher does not assume the student cannot learn, but rather assumes the student is not learning in the way he is currently being taught. the persistent teacher will find another way. in the eyes of that teacher, when a student fails, the teacher fails.

  • You're growing, but you're not finished growing.
  • When one route doesn't work, there are others we can find.
  • Let's figure out what works best.
  • There are no excuses here, but there is support.
  • There is no finish line in learning.


Response of Reflection
Given the nature of the classroom and its inhabitants, young lives are always at risk. There is always a problem. The teacher who believes deeply in the dignity and worth of the individual and the group hears the echo, "failure is not an option."

  • I watch you and listen to you carefully and systematically.
  • I make sure to use what I learn to help you learn better.
  • I try to see things through your eyes.
  • I continually ask, "How is this partnership working?"
  • I continually ask, "How can I make this better?"











3 comments:

  1. I love this section of the book... it looks like you do, too! Please see my note about citing Tomlinson when you quote her... it will just give your voice more credibility! 5 pts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammy... Yikes! I need your student ID to get you up on Canvas (long story). Please send your UVID to me, and then tune in to our Differentiation Class on Canvas. (Hope you're having a blast in PEru!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that this is a great chapter. Everything listed in this chapter for teacher response to students makes me wonder if my teachers I had growing up had this information. I think that if they did there would have been a lot more student participation and involvement.
    Just beginning with the response to invitation is a great place to start. If you can make the students know that you want them there in your classroom, you respect them, value them, believe in them, have time for them, and need them in your classroom can make any student want to be there. Students need to know that what they are doing at school is worth something. They are not just going there to be somewhere for the day. They need to know that someone wants them there and wants them to grow knowledge and succeed.
    Going off of the response to invitation, students also need to know the opportunities they have are important to know, worthy things to learn, things that will open new possibilities, and things that can make the student all they can be. Ensuring students that they will get all of these opportunities and reassuring students that you will be there for them each step of the way will inspire and motivate students to want to be at school. See what they can learn new today and take out into the world.
    Teachers need to be invested in each student. Students need to know how important they are and that what you are doing to help them is for them to help them succeed.
    Persistence is another response. Students need to know that there is no finish line in learning. They will continue to grow and learn until the day they die. If students can learn this now and know that there are teachers like us to help them succeed along the way, they can accomplish anything they put their minds too.
    Lastly, we need to be sure that along the way we are reflection on how we can make things better and be sure that things are working a long the way. If it is not working we need to find what does work.
    Like I said, this is a great chapter to read on. If we can do this for our students, it will help in so many ways to improve their education during that year and for future years.

    ReplyDelete