.

.

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Differentiating with Hallmarks

Differentiation takes place when teachers strive to do whatever it takes to ensure that struggling  and advanced learners, students with different cultural backgrounds all grow as much as they possibly can everyday.

To have a differentiated classroom we begin where the students are, not where the curriculum guide tells us.  Learners differ in important ways, and we have to accept that we must be ready to engage students in instruction through different learning modalities, by appealing to different interests, and by using different varied rates of instruction.

There are 9 Hallmarks of a differentiated classroom. Differentiation is apparent when teachers have combinations of the following traits:

1. A strong link between assessment and instruction. In my future classroom, I will make sure that I pre-assess students before teaching important units so that I can ensure that I am meeting the needs of students individually, based on what they already know. By continually assessing throughout the school year, I can make adjustments to my lesson plans that will help, instead of hindering my students.

2. The teacher's own absolute clarity about what he or she wants the students to know, understand, and be able to do-about what is truly important to learn in this unit. I want to be a good teacher, so I want to ensure that I can determine what the students truly need to know, understand, and be able to do.

3. Shared responsibility for the classroom is between teacher and students, in the goal of making it work for everyone. In my ideal classroom, my students will contribute to the day to day functions of the "classroom family" and community. Students will learn to work together and learn the strengths and limits of their classmates.

4. Individual growth is emphasized as central to classroom success. I want to give goals to each student that will challenge them individually.  I will support and guide my students in all that they do.

5. A "way up", usually through multiple and varied pathways, and never a "way out." I will never teach down to a student. I will constantly cause learners to stretch and include opportunities for scaffolding that will help each child "up". I want to know my students well enough that I will give different learning options and pathways.

6. "Respectful" and engaging work for all students. I want all students to think at his own highest level in order to complete work. My students will know that the work they do is just as important and challenging as the work each classmate does.

7. Proactive thinking and planning for different pathways. I will plan in advance for differentiation. I want my students to succeed and not have "knee jerk" reactions to the needs that students have.

8. Flexible grouping. I will make sure my students have opportunities to work with many different groups within the classroom. This will help them to know that I will balance their needs with a wide range of purposes.

9. Flexible use of time, space, and materials. I will arrange my classroom in a way that will help students work in a variety of ways and formats. I will do my best to have lots of materials for readiness levels and interest categories.







No comments:

Post a Comment